Sunday, September 11, 2011

Notes on 9/11

Dear Readers,

Today as you may know from all the perturbation (hoopla), today is the 10th Anniversary of 9/11.

Although I was in 1st grade, I'll never forget that day. Being in a different country, however, has made me unable to feel the impact of the memory. I'm in Oman, how does this affect me now?

But when you really think about it......really, really think about it, you realize how history was altered.

How many lives vanished, and how many lives changed.

How many books were created, movies were made, tears dropped, and children left father and motherless.

All because of one day.

In total 3,497 people died that day. Including the people in the towers, terrorists, policemen, firemen, paramedics  NY residents, New Jersey Residents, Passengers on the planes, Foreign Nationals, people in the company Cantor-Fitzgerald, and finally the civilians and military working at the Pentagon.

More than 3,051 children lost parents.

1,609 people lost a spouse or partner.

Not to mention traveling by air would never be the same again.


This catastrophe affected every American life. And that includes Americans who practice Islam. When a great loss envelops us, its natural instinct to point to someone to blame. So I guess you can imagine who people blamed.
That was wrong. Playing the blame game especially when you are uneducated on the matter of fact, is hurtful and unjust. There are estimated to be 2.8 million Muslim Americans. .05% of the U.S. Population. And they had nothing to do with this. In fact, Most Muslims all throughout the world had nothing to do with it! And I'm pretty sure my Omani family had nothing to do with it either.



So, the next time I ask myself how it affects me, hopefully I'll remember.



No comments:

Post a Comment